Monday, December 1, 2008

The face of cancer – 2 years


Two years ago I began taking daily photographs of myself to track how my appearance changes as I battle with cancer. During that time I started a different chemotherapy, treated a bone tumor with radiation, knocked the cancer back into remission, finished chemotherapy, diagnosed a recurrence, started another chemotherapy, and found that these drugs that helped before are no longer stopping the cancer's growth.

I previously posted time-lapse movies of these self portraits at the 6 month and 9 month marks. Now I present two years of self portraits as a high resolution download or as a streaming video.



The early months were marred by the severe acne and hair loss from the previous ineffective chemotherapy. Since then I think my appearance has continued to improve even through the latest months of recurrence and unsuccessful return to other drugs.

The best plan of attack now is a big surgery to go after the tumors directly. So I am preparing myself through eating, exercise, relaxation, and planning for months of recovery. The break from chemotherapy at this time might show in the extra twinkle of energy and clarity I feel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing! Congratulations on your survivorship of stupid cancer. Rock on!

Best,

Alan Swann
Executive Assistant
I'm Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation
http://StupidCancer.org

ConvaTec said...

Nice blog hanks for sharing, ConvaTec is a global medical products and technologies company, We providing ostomy , ostomy bag, ostomy care, Urine Meter, Diuresis Monitoring system ,Closed suction system, Airway management, Critical Care Products etc...

colostomy surgery
ostomy appliance
colostomy bag care
ostomy
colostomy bag price in india

ConvaTec said...

Really Nice Blog, Convatec is a global medical products and technologies company, We providing Like...urostomy bag ,colostomy surgery ,ostomy bag ,ileostomy bag ,ostomy care,therapeutics, continence and critical care, and infusion devices etc...
Urine Meter
Diuresis Monitoring system
Closed suction system
Airway management
Critical Care Products