Saturday, April 10, 2010

Life lost

By early 2008, I had endured 18 months of chemotherapy with Xeloda. My CEA was down to normal and my scans were clear. When my CEA came back up a bit, we decided the chemo had done all the good it could and it was time to set me free. We would just watch closely and hope that cancer would stay away, at least for a while.

It felt great to get away from the grind of chemo. I didn't have to plan my activities around good weeks and bad weeks. I didn't have to avoid favorite foods on chemo days to prevent making bad associations. I had more time and energy, my mind was clear, and I could plan for the future: projects to accomplish, advancing my career, traveling around the world, and pursuing romance as a normal man.

Just a few months later I got bad news. My CEA was not rising gradually but shooting rapidly into the danger zone. And my scans showed new growth – a tumor had resisted all the chemo drugs and was expanding without restraint.

I cried upon receiving that news – something I had rarely done through all my dealings with cancer. The physician's assistant assured me that the doctors had not given up on me; there were still more treatments to try. She must have thought that my tears were from a fear of death. And I should take comfort that there might still be ways to avoid that fate.

But really I cried for the loss of life. The loss of living. I knew that returning to treatment meant more hardships from chemotherapy, the loss of time, and the loss of vigor. Death is inevitable and I do not fear it, but I have things to do before it comes. I cried because I was losing those plans for my future – productivity, strength, happiness, love.


We eventually fought that recurrence with surgery. And when we found that some remnants had survived, we scorched them with radiation. I have been living free since then – watching closely, hoping for a long break from cancer, and planning for the future.

But now my CEA is back in the stratosphere. Though we haven't identified a specific tumor on scans, I have been experiencing bowel obstructions and greatly increased pain. It seems that cancer is back in my life and ready to fight.

I start a new course of chemotherapy on Monday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been only dealing with my cancer for 9 monthes but as of last week my numbers had skyrocketed and my liver and kidneys were starting to shut down due to all the chemotherapy. So my doctors ahve taken me off all treatments to give me a chance to hopefully regain some strength and get my organs back into working order. I am really sad about it and just came back to writing my blog to "vent" and get my feelings out. I read your newest entry and it gave me hope. I have enjoyed reading your blog the past few monthes, but this lastest entry really hit home. I hope everything goes well with your newest Chemo and I will keep you in my prayers. Angie *HUGS*

alena said...

You continue to be on my mind and in my thoughts. Best wishes on your journey and fight from far away.

Your friend ~ Alena

Rick Wagner said...

Angie - I hope you get your strength back soon. It's so frustrating to be geared for battle with cancer and then have your own body sabotage your ability to get treatment. So vent away and let me know how things go.

spiralscare said...

Spirals Care is a platform to find Doctors around you, Online Doctors Appointment Provides you everything about
doctors including their experience, expertise, qualifications, blogs , clinics, timings of consultation etc.
Book Online doctors Integrated with Google Maps,Find online doctors an appointment spiralscare allows you to
find the distance to the clinic as well as directions without having to search yourself.

Visit us- www.spiralscare.com
E-mail- info@spiralscare.com

Find doctors online appointment

online doctors appointment

online appointment booking for doctors

Online doctors Appointment

Find doctors online appointment